Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Roses are red...

The poem is said to have been penned by Sir Edmund Spenser in his book The Faerie Queene, published in 1590.  Then in a 1784 book entitled Gammer Gurton's Garland it was changed up and reworded into a cousin of poem we know today:
The rose is red, the violet's blue,
The honey's sweet, and so are you.
Thou are my love and I am thine;
I drew thee to my Valentine:
The lot was cast and then I drew,
And Fortune said it shou'd be you.
I love Valentine's Day.  I know all the "Love Hum Buggers" think it's just a day for greeting card companies and florists to make money and that's true, they do.  But it's so much more.  It's not necessary to buy a card nor is it necessary to buy/send flowers.  I'd rather have a beautiful hand written note and a dinner made for me than all the flowers and Hallmark you can buy.  I want my partner to make me a dinner that is created and planned and executed from the heart with me in mind.  I like it when I'm fawned over like I'm special and treasured....because I am.
I want a big, buttery, creamy plate of Fettucine Alfredo, thick slabs of dangerously garlicky bread, and my favorite Italian Chopped Salad, some talk-back-to-ya Merlot and a moist chocolate cake with chocolate swiss meringue.  That's what my dream Valentine's dinner would be.  If someone wanted to follow that up with a Heart Tag Toggle Link Necklace from Tiffany & Company, well, I wouldn't object.
Make your someone special this stupidly easy Fettucine Alfredo and they might forget about cards and flowers too:
Easy Fettucine Alfredo
8 oz fettucine noodles, cooked and well-drained
1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz)
1 cup milk
1 stick butter
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 C grated parmesan
To a microwave safe bowl, add cream cheese, milk, butter and garlic powder.  Cook on high power, stirring every 3 mins until cream cheese is melted.  Stir in parmesan and heat again for 1 minute.  Place pasta in large bowl and top with alfredo sauce, serve with extra parmesan on the side.
Tomorrow:  The Italian Chopped Salad recipe ...it's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment