Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

It's all about the Passion...

I am truly inspired by very few foods. Most are pretty common and, while they are wonderful, they don't get me going.  Take onions for example, they are delicious and essential but not awe-inspiring.  Come to think of it, maybe they are cause I have a recipe for a creamy onion soup that is pretty great.  But, back to inspiring...I never know what I'm going to write about until something inspires me.  I woke up yesterday with Passion Fruit on my mind.  I don't know why, maybe it's this early-spring-feeling weather that made me think about it.  All I know is I woke up with the luscious, seductive fragrance of it in my mind.  If you've never tasted Passion Fruit (experienced it is more appropriate) you are sorely lacking in the pleasure arena.  It's a fruit unlike any other you will ever know, an intoxicating melange of aromas, so perfume-y and sweet it's no mystery how it got it's name.  View Image
If you're saying "I don't even know what a Passion Fruit is!" let me put on my professor cap and have Passion Fruit 101 right now: Passion fruit are native to South America but are also grown in California and can be grown in much more northern regions too.  The fruit is egg-shaped with a smaller hollow cavity inside that contains seeds.  The entire fruit is edible once you peel it.  There are basically two types: yellow and purple.  They are similar in structure and flavor (tart..really tart) but the purple is more fragrant and has more juice.  Generally, you would peel the fruit and juice the entire thing or just juice the pulp and save the seeds for garnish.  The seeds are a pretty addition, but the most intense flavors are in the seeds, so just save a few and juice the rest.  You can't find them at Albertsons and most certainly not at Walmart, but Sprouts or Central Market (an absolute mecca for a foodie) will most assuredly have them.  You can buy Passion fruit nectar, but don't, just find the fruit and process it yourself.  I like to make Passion Fruit Curd and use it to flavor cakes, icebox pies, parfaits or ice creams.  It smells exactly like it tastes.  It smells like a combination of grapefruit, strawberry, mango, banana...basically every fruit you can think of rolled into one.  It smells like the most beautiful beach in the world on a sunny day in an adirondack chair with condensating, icy drinks in tall glasses served by tan, smiling, muscular pool boys in tight T shirts and smiles...ooh, am I digressing.  If I could dab it behind my ears I would.
I have 4 recipes I want to share.  Ya'll know if you follow me, I am a pastrychef and occasionally I'll share my secret recipes and you're getting 3 today plus a bitchin' little cocktail recipe.  Who wouldn't love some Passion Fruit Cupcakes and a Passion Fruit Cocktail.  Sugar AND alcohol?  Count me in?!                                                                                   View ImageWhite Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Passion Fruit Curd & Passion Fruit Buttercream
1 white cake mix, any brand
1 sm pkg white chocolate pudding mix
1/2 C sour cream                                                                                       
4 eggs
1/2 C oil
1/2 C milk
Mix all ingredients on medium mixer speed for 2 minutes. Scoop into muffin pans lined with baking cups and bake at 350 for 12-18 mins or till toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely.  Using a piping bag or squeeze bottle, insert tip of bag/bottle into top of cupcake and squeeze approximately 1 teaspoon of Passion Fruit Curd (recipe below) into each cupcake. Frost with Passion Fruit Buttercream (also below), garnish with a few of the reserved seeds.
Passion Fruit Curd
1 C Passion Fruit puree/juice, unsweetened
1 C sugar
3 eggs
2 T cornstarch
1/2 C unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pcs
In a large microwave safe bowl, combine all ingredients and cook on high power for 2 minutes, stir. Continue cooking stirring after each minute, until mixture is thickened, about 4 minutes.  Cool completely.  This cans beautifully, by the way or refrigerate till needed.  Keeps 1 month in fridge.
Passion Fruit Buttercream
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1/2 C shortening
2 T Passion Fruit Curd
4 C confectioners sugar
1/2 +/- milk
Cream butter and shortening till fluffy, add Passion Fruit curd and mix well.  Scrape sides of bowl and add 1 C of the sugar.  Continue adding sugar and milk alternately, with mixer on low speed until all is added, then beat on medium speed till fluffy, 3 mins.  Makes enough to frost 1 dozen cupcakes or a small cake.
Go to fullsize image
Passion Fruit Cocktail (makes 1-4, depends on who's drinking)
1 C Passion Fruit juice, sweetened
2 C dry champagne
2 oz Triple Sec or 4 oz orange flavored vodka
Mix all ingredients over ice in a pitcher and serve. Garnish with a lemon peel or raspberry.

1 comment:

  1. the drink sounds interesting. If this is the same cupcakes you made for Karen, it was good.

    ReplyDelete