Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

California dreaming...

It never fails, about this time of year I start jonesing for California and I begin my meticulous trip itenerary novel.  I'll spend weeks perfecting that thing.  I'm not OCD about it, but I just want it perfect.  I want to do things I've never done there and not miss anything I've planned.  I plan it out by the hour and try not to deviate from my schedule too much but occasionally things come up that are too great to drive past.  I've been to California several times and have never had a trip I didn't adore. Last year, I took my son and we did the trip from LA to Yosemite via interminable hours in Death Valley.  We went by Scotty's Castle out in the big middle of it and saw massive craters and some freaky stuff you can only find in the desert.  He loves California as much as I do, ever since I took him in 2009 and drove the PCH and then last year in the desert.
    My first was my honeymoon with ex-hubby Gary in 2000.  We had originally planned to go to Vegas and stay at the Bellagio, but we rented a car and drove to San Diego just planning to stay a couple of days to check it out.  We ended up staying at the Town & Country hotel for the next few days.  If you have never been to San Diego - go, it's beautiful and the hotel was awesome too.  We walked down to the Geen Flash restaurant and had dinner and it was perfect. The next morning he brought me coffee on the balcony and we sat there wrapped in a comforter, steaming coffe in white mugs, looking at the ocean.  That was a perfect moment in my memories.   
   Another time we went to LA (not Louisiana and not Lower Arkansas Marc!) and he got us tickets to the Dr Phil Show and we were actually on TV! Even better on that trip was when I discovered The Alley in downtown LA.  People, I'm here to tell you, if you love shopping and you LOVE purses and jewelry...that's paradise for you.  I have bought some killer purses there - they may have been knockoffs but they were uber cute! I got a Gucci backpack purse for $10 and I carried that thing till it fell apart and had tons of compliments on it.  I also got a Louis Vuitton bag for $35 and I came home with it and ended up selling it for $75!  Ladies, make a girls' weekend out of it and go there.  It's off of Orange street in the fashion district of downtown LA and I'm not kidding, it's like 5 miles of shopping.  So incredible.
   Traveling with Gary was always an adventure.  Yet another time, we flew into Vegas (it's usually cheaper than flying into LAX) and rented a red Goldwing motorcycle and rode to LA on it.  Nice huh?  No.  He hd 6 mos motorcycle experience and it was July and we had to cross Death Valley on the route to LA.  It was freakin' 125 degrees out there and I thought I was going to have a heatstroke.  We stopped in a little town off the interstate and had lunch and he ordered a Veggie Sandwich.  I don't know if it was that delicious or if we were just worn out, but that was a good sandwich.  After I opened my cake shop, we served lunch and occasionally I'd put that sandwich on the menu and called it "Gary's Veggie Sandwich" alongside a cup of my signature Poblano Corn Chowder.  Yeah, it was good. 
   I avoided giving my recipes (at least complete ones) when I was operating the shop, but since I sold it, I'm giving freely!  Today I'm giving ya'll the Veggie Sandwich and the Poblano Corn Chowder.  While the Veggie Sandwich doesn't really count as a recipe - it's more of an instructional format - it's still good fodder.  It counts in with that low calorie theme from last post too.  Enjoy it!











Gary's Veggie Sandwich
Fresh White Bread (trust me, it's the best)
Mayo, fat free is ok
Havarti or Monterrey Jack cheese slices
Leaf Lettuce  
Tomato sliced thinly
Avocado slices
Radish or Alfalfa sprouts
Spread mayo on bread - both sides -and assemble sandwich using ingredients. Serve with olives and pickles.










Poblano Corn Chowder
1 large poblano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 md onion, chopped
1/2 t black pepper
2T butter
2T bacon fat
2T flour
2 C milk, heated
2 C low sodium chicken broth, heated
15 oz can cream corn
1 C fresh, frozen or canned whole kernel corn
Salt to taste
Heat butter and bacon fat, add chopped pepper and onion, saute till tender. Add black pepper to mixture and saute a few seconds.  Add flour and cook and stir for 2 mins.  Whisk in milk, stir till thickened.  Add broth and combine well, bring to simmer, add cream corn and whole kernel corn, salt to taste.  Simmer on very low heat for 10 mins.  Top with a dollop of sour cream, sprinkling of grated cheddar, some thinly sliced green onions and even a little crumbled bacon if you like.  Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment