Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Chocolate...Better Than Sex?

I've had friends say chocolate is better than sex and I always wonder "who have you been having sex with???" (probably my Danish ex-boyfriend).  I enjoy chocolate, I don't know if I would say it's better than a good romp with someone special, but I enjoy it very much.  I've been an accomplished professional baker for years and this is the chocolate cake I made for my customers.  It was my most popular cake.  It's simple and not overly sweet and is so good you don't need ice cream with it.  My two sons, now ages 29 & 22, grew up having this perfect chocolate cake and even as adults they still ask for it.
Texas Chocolate Cake
Oven 350, grease and flour two 8" or 9" round cake pans
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 3/4 c sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 1 1/2 c milk
  • 1 sm pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 2 t instant coffee powder
  • 1/4 t cinnamon
  • 2 1/2 c cake flour
  • 6 T  unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt
  • 8 oz sour cream
Combine dry ingredients, set aside.  Cream butter and sugar till fluffy, add eggs, one at a time, beating well.  Add vanilla, mix well.  Add dry ingredients and milk, alternating until both are incorporated. Mix in sour cream just until streaks no longer appear. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake till toothpick just barely comes clean. Cool completely.
Chocolate Cream Buttercream
  • 1 stick butter, room temp
  • 1/2 C vegetable shortening (keeps frosting stable)
  • 4 C powdered sugar, divided
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 6-8oz heavy cream
  • 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled slightly
Cream butter, shortening and 1 C sugar till fluffy, beat in vanilla.  Beat in melted chocolate,  Add another cup sugar slowly and start adding cream alternately with remaining sugar until frosting is stiff enough to spread but not so thick it tears the cake.  Frost cooled cake. Makes enough for two 8 or 9 inch layers and decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment