Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

It only FEELS like International Falls, MN...

"It snowed 8 feet a day for 6 months a year and in the winter I walked to school barefoot uphill both ways in the snow."  Who hasn't heard that from some centenarian in their family?  It started sleeting early Wednesday morning and it rained ice down for 7 hours and we ended up with 2" of accumulation.  I mean, this is Texas after all, it only feels like Yankee country!  I have to admit when I was very young, I remember having snow yearly.  I remember sitting nest to the window at our old, round oak table early in the mornings before school, looking out the fogged and frosted window to the back yard at the snow covered ground.  I wanted to be in the snow playing, not having oatmeal and going to school.  It was with much trepidation I marched off to school with my main concern being "what if the snow melted before I got home to play in it?!!"
I remember Saturdays playing in the snow until I couldn't feel my fingers and I remember my grandmother sending me out to the picnic table in the back yard to collect snow in a bowl to make Snow Ice Cream.  It was always in that plastic aqua green bowl and when I go back to see my mother I see it in the kitchen and I always taste the snow ice cream it held as well as the popcorn my father made on Sunday afternoons.   I remember the smell of the vanilla she added as she made the ice cream and the sound of the salt granules scratching the sides of the bowl as you scooped up the popcorn with gistening, buttery fingers. It's funny how you objects like that bowl can make you remember your life through food.  My grandmother and father are long passed away but their legacies live on.  I tweaked the snow ice cream recipe a little but it's still very true to my Meme's.
Winter is in full swing and it will be gone all too soon...let's make some Snow Ice Cream!
Meme's Snow Ice Cream
10-12 C fresh. clean loose snow in a large bowl
1 C sugar
1 1/2 C heavy cream or half & half
2 T vanilla
Combine all ingredients with the snow and stir quickly until smooth. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment