Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

A Little About Me...

Cake, pie, cookies, pastries, cupcakes, cake balls, creme brulee, flan....the list goes on and on and on and on.....
I love sweet, meltingly decadent treats and desserts.  I love them with the passion I should have dedicated to my past loves - they might not be pasts if I had.  Sweets are like the perfect soul mate. Sure they can pad your hips if you enjoys them a little too much, but they won't complain if your derrierre is a bit on the padded side.  There is nothing about a dessert I don't love.  I grew up in east Texas and learned how to cook and bake from my grandmother.  Many a Saturday afternoon was spent in the kitchen with her as she made Caramel Pie, tacos, gravy, fried chicken, purple hull peas, poke salit and lots of other things.  I most vividly remember the smells as she made the roux for the gravy or caramelized the sugar for the pie.  By the time I was eight I was baking.  The first thing I ever attempted was a recipe I found in the Weekly Reader called Barefoot Sanders Cookies.  Sanders  was a Texas lawyer, legislator and judge in the 60's & 70's and for some reason they published a cookies recipes bearing his name. I didn't know if they were a favorite cookie of his or if someone just did it because of the name but I saw it and thought they'd be good.  They weren't.  Turned out, his mother had made thousands of them, in lieu of campaign buttons I suppose, for his bid for presidency.   As I made them, I didn't know any better and I worked that flour until it was a tough, rubbery mess and the cookies were like shortbread hockey pucks.  My sweet grandmother ate them anyway.  She'd put a slice of bread in the tupperware container to try and soften them then she'd dip them in her coffee and eat them.  It took her a month but she ate them all...all by herself.  No one else even touched them!  I made them years later and decided it was me, not the recipe, that messed up.  Here's the recipe, make them and remember a truly great man.  Bio:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/28/AR2008092802671.html
Barefoot Sanders Cookies
3 eggs                                                                                                                                    
3 sticks butter
1 C brown sugar
1 C white sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
5 C flour
Mix all ingredients in order, drop by spoonful onto greased cookie sheet.  Use a sugared glass bottom to flatten slightly.  Bake at 350 till lightly browned, about 10 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment