Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Please Kiss Me With That Garlic Breath!

My final, considered judgment is that the hardy bulb [garlic] blesses and ennobles everything it touches - with the possible exception of ice cream and pie.”
Angelo Pellegrini, 'The Unprejudiced Palate' (1948)
I cannot for the life of me imagine a diet devoid of garlic.  How bland and shallow would that be?  I dated a Danish man a couple of years ago and he didn't like anything remotely spicy. That included liking EVERYTHING plain and bland, but again, that's another story.  Anyway, he liked onions but not garlic or hot peppers. I love garlic.  It adds depth and body to food and if it's added in the appropriate vehicle to the dish - it's hard to get too much.  By that I mean roasting or sauteing to mellow the garlic so it's all sweetness and flavor, none of the harshness that may put the lightweights off. 
I've given you my easy, easy Fettucine Alfredo and my fab Italian Chopped Salad recipes and today it's an italian dinners' best friend ----Garlic Bread!!!  It's dripping with butter, garlic and cheese. Stop counting calories and make this dang garlic bread!!
Best Dang Garlic Bread Ever
1 loaf french bread
1 stick salted butter, room temp
2 cloves garlic
2 T grated parmesan cheese
Oven at 375.  Stir butter, garlic and parmesan together till well incorporated.  Slice the french bread into 15 slices with a serrated knife, being careful not to slice all the way through.  Using a small spatula or butter knife, spread the garlic butter equally between the pieces, using all of the butter.  Wrap the bread in foil and bake for 15-20 minutes. 
Tomorrow is the best part....my favorite chocolate cake!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment